There is a growing popularity among the consumers for traditional foods due to their health benefits, and wheat is one among them. Traditional foods like vermicelli are the expression of our Indian culture, history and life style. Wheat Vermicelli is a traditional product prepared by using whole or refined wheat flour. Hard dough is prepared, cold extruded and dried in the sun. In wheat vermicelli, wheat flour remains as the basic ingredient used. Addition of various other ingredients to it brings in other flavours.
The shape of Vermicelli appears like noodles in long strands of different textures (thin, think, long and short). People use vermicelli in various Indian dishes like falooda, kheer, payasam, upma, and in other hot and sweet preparations. You can also serve it with sauces, in salads or fried and use it as an ingredient for other dishes. You do have to cook vermicelli in a manner specific to the type of grain from which it is made.
Vermicelli is called , ‘sev’ in Gujarati, ‘shavige’ in Kannada, `seviyan’ in Hindi, ‘shemai’ in Bengali ‘sevalu’ in Telugu, ‘semiya’ in Tamil and Malayalam.
Nutritional Values and Health Benefits of Whole Wheat
Whole wheat is highly beneficial for a healthy living as it improves body metabolism, controls obesity and high blood sugar levels. It also lowers the risks of heart diseases. The nutritive value of wheat vermicelli is:
- Energy (Ecals) – 352
- Moisture (gm) – 12
- Protein (gm) – 9
- Fat (gm) – 0
- Mineral (gm) – 1
- Fibre (gm) – 0
- Carbohydrates (gm) – 78
- Calcium (mg) – 22
- Phosphorous (mg) – 92
- Iron (mg) – 2
Being high in energy and carbohydrates, it is an ideal nutritious diet for both children and adults. In women, it promotes gastrointestinal health and prevents asthma in children.
How to use Wheat Vermicelli
Buy thin roasted wheat vermicelli. In order to save time and get an enhanced flavour, you can opt to buy roasted vermicelli. If you are buying vermicelli which is not roasted, then you need to roast the vermicelli before using it in any dish to get rid of the raw flavour. Always use it by dry roasting for 5 minutes.
Sweet Wheat Vermicelli Usli
- Wheat Vermicelli 1 cup
- Chopped green chillies – 2-3
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5-6 leaves
- Grated coconut – 2 tbsp
- Sugar – 2tsp
- Oil or ghee – a few drops
- Salt to taste
How to prepare Sweet Wheat Vermicelli Usli
- Fill a large saucepan with water and boil. Once the water is boiling, add salt as needed.
- Add the vermicelli and stir at the beginning to help it cook evenly to avoid clumping. Cook vermicelli till it is firm and tender.
- Add a cup or two of cold water to the saucepan as soon as the vermicelli is fully cooked. This will cool the vermicelli and prevent it from continuing to cook. Don’t rinse the vermicelli. Use a colander to drain the excess water, and the vermicelli is ready to serve.
- In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add Urad dhal, and wait till they turn golden brown. Then add green chillies and curry leaves.
- To this add cooked vermicelli. Mix well and add sugar and salt as per your taste.
- Stir well, finally add grated coconut. Remove from heat. Serve hot.
- It`s a healthy breakfast for children or makes a perfect evening snack.