Breakfast is often described as an important meal for the day as it provides many benefits to our health and well-being. Having a healthy breakfast is a great way to start your day. Eating a nutritious breakfast refuels your body, replenishes your blood glucose levels, provides your body with the essential vitamins and minerals for proper growth, better immunity, bone strength and carbohydrate and protein metabolism. It also uplifts your mood, improves concentration levels, helps maintain a healthy weight and fights fatigue.
Breakfast is a great opportunity to consume nutritious food like whole grains, millets, fruits, skimmed dairy products and vegetables. Those who consume a healthy breakfast regularly are likely to meet their daily nutrient requirements. A well-balanced breakfast can help keep you alert and productive throughout the morning.
Research says that corn based meals are proven to increase overall nutrient status and absorption, especially for minerals like zinc, calcium and iron.
Nutrient Rich Corn
Corn in any form is a good option for a healthy breakfast as it has plenty of nutritional value. It is rich in antioxidants, carotenoids, vitamin B6, which helps your brain produce chemicals that affect your mood – serotonin and norepinephrine.
Protein sources are essential for your health. Corn has high protein content, making it a great way to meet your daily protein requirement. Each cup of corn has about 5 – 6 grams of protein, which is needed to build your muscles and provide you with high energy levels throughout the day.
Corn is nutrient-rich, good source of Vitamin B, Vitamin C, magnesium, potassium. Corn has B1, B5 and folic acid which is known to regulate blood sugar. Study says that corn helps to control blood sugar in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
The phytonutrients found in corn helps in lowering the risk of high blood pressure.
How to make Corn Vermicelli with Groundnuts
- Corn Vermicelli – 200 gms
- Salt – To Taste
- Oil or Ghee – As required
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Chilli Powder – ½ tsp
- Roasted Groundnuts Powdered – ¼ cup
- Lime Juice – 2 tsp
- Mustard – ½ tsp
- Cumin – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 10
- Oil – 2 tsp
Steps to make Corn Vermicelli with Groundnuts
- Dry roast corn vermicelli on a medium flame till it turns golden in colour. Set aside.
- Now in a larger vessel, boil water and add in the roasted corn vermicelli. Add salt and boil for 3 minutes or until it gets cooked.
- Drain off excess water and allow it to cool.
- Then in a pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves and sauté.
- Add in the cooked corn vermicelli. To this add chilli powder, turmeric and stir well. Then add roasted groundnut powder and stir. Make sure the corn vermicelli is not sticky. Finally, add a few drops of lime juice.
- Serve with coconut chutney or you can eat it plain.