Corn or maize is one of the most popular cereal grains in the world. It is a grain plant that originated in Southern Mexico. Corn is the staple food of many and is the most harvested grain in the world. It is used in many different ways like corn flakes, tortillas, corn flour, corn vermicelli and corn syrup.
Corn is known as Challi in Hindi, Mokka Jonnalu in Telugu, Makkacholam in Tamil, Cholam in Malayalam, Musukina Jola in Kannada, Makkai in Gujarat, Marathi and Punjabi and Butta in Bengali.
How Corn keeps you healthy?
Whole grain corn is a healthy cereal grain that is rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. It is low in calories and an excellent source of energy.
- It is a very good source of iron, per 100 grams mg of serving of corn in your diet provides 2.7mg of iron to the body.
- It is a rich source of fiber and this helps in reducing cholesterol and in easy digestion.
- It contains a high amount of carbohydrates which provide adequate energy to the body.
- Corn contains bio-active enzymes like anthocyanins, phytic acid, ferulic acid, zeaxanthin and lutein which provide multiple health benefits.
- It provides a large proportion of folate requirement for the body and is a rich source of beta-carotene that is needed for the formation of vitamin A.
- It contains phenolic phytochemicals that help regulate blood pressure and prevent hypertension.
- It has a good amount of vitamin B that helps in the optimal functioning of Adrenal glands.
- It is a source of antioxidant thymine which helps to sharpen brain functions.
A meal rich in corn helps you and your family gain protection against ailments and diseases. Corn can be a nutritious addition to your diet.
How to make Spicy Corn Vermicelli Upma – Breakfast Recipe
- Roasted Corn Vermicelli- 180 gms
- Big onion – I chopped
- Tomato – 1 chopped
- Carrot – 1 chopped in cubes
- Green Bell Pepper – 1 chopped in cubes
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – ¾ tsp
- Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chilli – 1
- Salt to taste
Step by step method to prepare Spicy Corn Vermicelli Upma
- There are two types of vermicelli available in the market. To make corn vermicelli Upma, buy the roasted one for your cooking.
- In a vessel boil water and add corn vermicelli along with a few drops of oil. This helps the vermicelli not to stick to each other.
- Once cooked to the desired consistency, drain the excess water through a strainer and rinse the vermicelli in cold water. Keep it aside.
- Take a pan, heat oil. Add the mustard seeds and fry them till they splutter. Then add red chili. Add the chopped onions and fry them till golden in color.
- Add the vegetables – chopped bell pepper, carrots, and tomatoes. Stir fry them till crisp.
- To this add the coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Then add the cooked corn vermicelli and blend well. For an extra flavor, add dry fenugreek leaves. Garnish with coriander leaves.