A savory rice cake originating from Indian sub-continent, a popular breakfast made by steaming the batter consisting fermented lentils which are fermented, the fermentation process breaks down the starch so that they are readily metabolized by the body. Idly has several variations including Rava, millet flour, and others.
Idly has been mentioned in several ancient Indian works, the recipe mentioned in such ancient Indian works leaves out three key aspects of the modern idly recipe:
Rice vermicelli idly with semolina which is famous in Karnataka, made out of big molds that one idly would suffice for breakfast. A wonderful aroma is achieved through selected tempering’s, cashew provides a crustiness, boiled veggies and coriander to the batter makes it wholesome.
The Rava added gives a crunchy base and helps in controlling diabetes, aids weight loss, provides energy by boosting body function, prevents iron deficiency. Rice vermicelli and Rava in different forms and flavors are available in the market. Best brands like anil foods provide a wide range of suitable millet based vermicelli’s which can be used for this recipe. Idli is considered as one of the most nutritious food in the world recommended by WHO. Rich in carbohydrates, amino acids and fiber without saturated fats and cholesterol. Very easy to digest, rich in iron content, a complete food that can be eaten with 1000s of side dishes suitable for all ages and all times.
Preparation Time: 15mins
Cooking Time: 20mins
Total Time: 35mins
- 3/4 cup semolina
1 1/2 cup vermicelli
4 1/2 tbsp. oil
2 tbsp. cashew coarsen
1/2 cup curd
2 tbsp. urad dal
1 tbsp. mustard seed
2 tbsp. finely chopped chilies
4 to 5 curry leaves
- Heat ½ tbsp. of oil in a non-stick pan
- Add the semolina and roast on a medium flame for 3 to 4mins
- Remove from flame and keep it aside
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in the pan
- Add cashew and sauté
- Remove from flame add it to semolina
- Heat 1 more tbsp. oil add vermicelli and sauté on medium flame for 2mins
- Remove from flame add it to cashew
- Add curd and water, salt and mix well to make a batter
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan add mustard seeds and urad dal
- Add green chilies to the mixture and mix well
- Pour the batter into greased idli steamer for 8mins
- Cool and de-mold
- Serve with coconut chutney.