Tamarind Vermicelli is a delicious dish that is loved by most people across the regions of South India. It is a traditional dish cooked mainly during festivals, special occasions and parties. It tastes sour, spicy, hot and salty. The sight and aroma of this tangy preparation fills one with pleasant memories as it is cooked in many families when they all met with each other and enjoyed preparing this dish.
When tamarind is mixed with rice it is called pulihora which is a common preparation of South Indian cuisine. If you love pulihora, then you will also love this Tamarind Vermicelli preparation.
In Tamarind Vermicelli, the most basic ingredients used are tamarind and peanuts that can be sourced easily in the kitchen. This dish can absolutely pamper your taste buds in a most amazing manner. The sourness of tamarind dominates this variety and its taste gets neutralized with fiery hotness of red chillies, the wholesome crunchiness of peanuts and flavourful curry leaves. The peanuts, chana dhal, urad dhal give it a nice crunch and the combination of all the above ingredients makes this dish a sumptuous delectable dish.
Vermicelli is a versatile product that can be cooked easily with different ingredients served across our tables in many variations. There are plenty of brands and varieties in vermicelli like rice vermicelli, wheat vermicelli, tamarind vermicelli, corn vermicelli and millet varieties. However, tamarind vermicelli holds special place as it provides a deeply satisfying gastronomical experience. A very impressive dish offering pure contentment to the palate!
How to make Tamarind Vermicelli
- Vermicelli – 1 cup
- Roasted peanuts – ¼ cup
- Dry red chilli – 1
- Small onions – 5 finely chopped
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Chana dhal – ½ tsp
- Urad dhal – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Oil – as required
- Gingelly oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
To make powder (roast & grind)
- Fenugreek – ½ tsp
- Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
- Pepper corns – 5
Steps to prepare Tamarind Vermicelli
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan along with salt and let it boil. To this add roasted vermicelli and cook on a medium heat. Once vermicelli gets cooked, drain and set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter. To this add chana dhal, urad dhal, small onions and sauté till golden in color.
- Then add roasted peanuts and sauté gently.
- Add dry red chilli, asafoetida, curry leaves and turmeric powder. Stir well and add salt, ground powder and blend well.
- Leave it to boil till the mixture thickens.
- Then add cooked vermicelli, pour few drops of gingelly oil over it and remove from stove.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or any side dish of your choice. Even plain curd with cucumber slices will go well with this dish. Or plain vadams will match well with this dish.
Advantages of Tamarind Vermicelli
- It is rich in carbohydrates
- Satiates hunger pangs
- Easy to prepare and tasty
- Can be made within a short period of time
- It is ideal as a snack and meal
- It is a fine combination of sourness, spiciness and saltiness