Kozhakattais or Modaks are a wonderful delicacy which is soft and smooth in texture. It makes a perfect morning breakfast or even an evening snack. This spicy dish comes in various shapes and sizes and is prepared with oats and rice flour. You can enjoy oats in several ways. Oats are a rich source of fiber, both soluble and insoluble. Since they help to stabilize blood sugar levels, diabetics can consume oats regularly.
This recipe can be prepared easily and it is healthy and filling too. Children will love this snack. Be it a quick fix for hunger pangs or a light and hearty evening snack, it will give you the much-needed energy to carry you through the day. Given below is a step by step recipe to make delicious Oats kozhakattai with principal ingredient oats.
Step by Step Recipe Guide to make Quick Breakfast
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
Servings – 9
Recipe Category – Breakfast -Dinner
Recipe Cuisine – Indian
o Roasted Quick cooking oats – 1 cup
o Kozhakattai rice flour – 1 cup
o Onion – ½ cup finely chopped
o Green Chilli – 1 chopped finely
o Grated Carrot – ¼ cup
o Salt – as needed
o Oil – 1 tbsp
o Mustard Seeds – 1 Tsp
o Urad Dhal – 1 Tsp
o Curry Leaves – a sprig
Method to make Spicy Oats Kozhakattai:
- In the first step of cooking oats Kozhakattai, heat oil in a pan. To this add mustard seeds and wait till they splutter.
- Then add urad dhal and to it, the chopped add curry leaves. Curry leaves must to chopped fine for better flavor.
- Add green chilies till an aroma is released. Then add chopped onions and when half – done, add grated carrot.
- To this seasoning, add water and salt. Let the water to boil well. Close the lid and cook.
- Once cooked, add oats and stir without forming lumps. Then add rice flour and continue to stir well.
- Keep stirring the flours until they blend well in the water mixture.
- Stir the flours firmly in slow heat till dough-like consistency is formed to make Kozhakattai. Put off the flame.
- Take small portions from the dough-like mixture and form small balls in your hand.
- Steam the balls in the steamer. Let the balls be of the uniform shape in order to maintain an even cooking
- Your oats spicy kozhakattai can be taken out after 5-10 minutes.
- Your oats kozhakattai are now ready. They should not stick to your fingers on touching it.
- Then you can remove them from the steamer and serve hot.